The Man in the Cape - Rebalancing Update
I am deep into the rebalance of MitC and I’m really happy with how things are turning out. I’ve completed the first rebalance through normal mode and it is far more enjoyable (and less annoying). There’s a sizable list of changes and bug fixes piling up. Here’s a quick rundown of some so far:
- Per room saving & spot room rebalancing.
- Fixed an enemy spawning bug that prevented enemies in the room 1 from spawning.
- Reduced chances of treasure dropping / revamped points awards for bosses.
- Health fully restores on room completion.
- Various enemy speed / attack tweaks.
- Add a low ammo sound for special weapons.
- New pistol fire sound.
- Special weapon tweaks.
- Fixed Sawbots not unlocking in the gallery.
- And more…
I’ve changed the HUD to a black background. The blue background had always bothered me.
Also, I’ve been attempting to fix tiny little annoyances here and there. I’ve adjusted the precache a little bit to help reduce the occurrence of stuttering, tweaked a background or two so they aren’t so visually harsh, did some cleanup to a few sprites, etc. All in all, just trying to tie up loose ends.
I did a few more uncapped benchmarks to see if MitC still benefit from /arch:SSE support, and the top end framerate does remain higher with the compiler switch enabled. Honestly, not exactly sure how much real world benefit it has. I did test the game on a low end Athlon XP in the pre-release and it had a frame rate bump with the SSE switch. I plan on keeping it enabled for now.
What’s Next? I’ll give the build away for testing then I’ll rebalance hardcore mode. I’m going to try like hell to have this all done by the new year.