I’m nearly finished with my final play test of The Man in the Cape. I’m about 3/5ths the way through Hardcore Mode (which unlocks after beating the game). The changes are really starting to slow down. I find myself doing little more than balancing rooms and tweaking things.
I have decided to go with BMTMicro as my payment provider, and I have chosen to price the game at $2.99 USD. I really struggled to put a dollar amount on this, but I believe this is a reasonable price. I originally was going to price it at $4.99, but I think $2.99 is more accessible given the type of game (arcade twin stick) and the play time (a few hours).
Alright, so I’m nearly finished. The release version of the website is just about ready to go, the payment provider is selected, and the game is on its final pre-release play test. I’m hoping to have this thing live by October 5th. That is the date I am shooting for and I think it is a realistic one.
This will be my first full game release, and development has been a hell of ride. When I started in June of last year, I had nearly no experience in C++. I had some OOP exposure, having worked in PHP and Java in the past, but nothing of this magnitude. 15 months later, I emerge with a completed game, fulfilling a life goal I’ve had since I was a youngin’. I know my way around C++ and have a much better work ethic thanks to this project. In my mind, this entire endeavor has already been a rousing success. Now, if I’m lucky enough, this game will find its audience.
To the folks at /r/gamedev and /r/indiegaming at reddit, the IndieDB crowd, twitter followers, Steam Greenlighters, and friends: thanks for watching this game. I apologize for the fact that this blog hasn’t been very technical. When I start serious work on my next game, I’ll do my best to get more into the nitty-gritty.
Oh, and here is the newest video for the game. It amused me while I was cutting it, so I thought it would be worth posting.